The Star Wars Arena
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Star Wars Arena

Forum for the SWBFII OFFICIAL ARENA  ps2 server

HomePortal*GalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
** This is the Final Month of SWBFII online-multiplayer!! ** 

CTF Timers?

Go down 
+9
{DSB}Mewtwo
KillaK
PyroJockey
darthwiley
GRIZZ
Axe
VASH
vergamaton
{Apocalypse}Sho'Nuff
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Do You Want a Timer on CTF maps?
Yes
CTF Timers? I_vote_lcap37%CTF Timers? I_vote_rcap
 37% [ 7 ]
No
CTF Timers? I_vote_lcap63%CTF Timers? I_vote_rcap
 63% [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 19

AuthorMessage
{Apocalypse}Sho'Nuff
Post Whore
Post Whore
{Apocalypse}Sho'Nuff

CTF Timers? Empty
PostSubject: CTF Timers?   CTF Timers? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 12:13 pm

You know, I've been thinking about this and really watching the server the last 2 weeks to see what maps are the most popular.

I'm sorry, but all the talk about how boring Death Star CTF is and how it takes too long, yada, yada, yada - all that appears to be the exact opposite of what I've seen.

The dot.commers want more Conquest on the Arena server but Conquest maps always, ALWAYS knock atleast 6-10 players off the server. Every time.
And Death Star CTF is the only map that consistently has a full server during off-peak times.
It's pretty much the same way every single rotation:
Death Star CTF: 24/24 for hours!
Tantive IV CTF: 22/24 (either full or pretty close to it most of the time)
Coruscant CTF: 18/24 (starting to lose players to Official Server)
Polis Massa Conquest: 12/24!! (So much for Conquest being "more fun" psh!)
Utapau CTF: 10/24 (my fav map gets no players cuzz Conquest chased them all away)

Jabba's Palace CTF and Mustafar CTF might bring the server back up to 12 to 16 players, but it'll drop back down to 8/24 when the next Conquest map pops up.

I might put a 60-minute timer on the CTF maps depending on the feedback. But nothing less than that.
Back to top Go down
http://gametracker.com/bossplayer
vergamaton
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter
vergamaton

CTF Timers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CTF Timers?   CTF Timers? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 7:12 pm

i know im new here and i dont feel very good telling my opinion since im new.
But here it goes: in my experience, good players, well, players who know how to play, dont like damn large maps. In my case, i get bored but also, while playing, sooner or later i lose my death counting, and i start to die too much. I always die less than 20 times, in SWBFII.COM of course. Its very rare when i die more than 20 times. But well, this is not about my deaths. To the point: maybe a lot of people think like me: you loose the deaths counting and you just start dying for no reason and it turns boring.

On the other hand, players who play at nights are noobs. There are always noobs, but more at nights. When i play on arena, with alts and at nights, there are only noobs.(i know they are few good players, almost all of them from apocalypse). So these noobs like to spawn kill and like to get awards. DEath star is the perfect map to spawn kill. People love that. I hate to spawn kill, and i hate being spawn killed. I damn hate deathstar CTF, cause these reasons.

And talking about noobs, maybe they are young kids who dont like forums. You cant know how much people want a timmer or how much doesnt. Maybe you can be telling admin msgs asking if they want a timer. You could put like: "should we put a timer? Come to our site" or some message. You could have more people here too.

Also, if you put no timmer, people dont have hurry to score. 0-0 for 30 minutes is too exasperating. Then one guy goes to score. And so on. IF you put a timmer, lets say, the map starts and the score is 0-0. Time is passing. With 23-22 minutes left, people might start to try to score, and they try to score faster and all that stuff.

And umm the map rotation would rotate more, if you say people love the same maps, put the same maps.

I prefer conquest maps, its totally different than CTF. In all ways.

this is what i think...
and again sorry if i sound like i feel like the owner or something...this is just my noble opinion, serevr would be better, in MY opinion if you puit a timmer and a couple of conquest maps.
Back to top Go down
VASH
Post Master
Post Master
VASH

CTF Timers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CTF Timers?   CTF Timers? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 7:24 pm

well u do gots sum good points lol but im gonna argue 4 the other side lol

lets start with ctf and con. n my opinion the arena is a ctf server with "break" maps con and space r there 4 players to take a break and grab a snack or whatever and if the players want a con map they can always go to .com
.com=con
arena=ctf

as 4 timers i personally hate them lol and one could argue that with timers the players would feel no need to score lol all theyd have to do is kill till timer runs out lol without timer its up to the players to move it to the next map lol if i dont like a map ill score if i do like a map ill just kill lol
Back to top Go down
vergamaton
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter
vergamaton

CTF Timers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CTF Timers?   CTF Timers? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 7:29 pm

VASH wrote:

as 4 timers i personally hate them lol and one could argue that with timers the players would feel no need to score lol all theyd have to do is kill till timer runs out lol without timer its up to the players to move it to the next map lol if i dont like a map ill score if i do like a map ill just kill lol

I thikn the opposite, with timmer players want to score faster.... but u are right, .com= con, arena= CTF. Thats so damn true Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Axe
Forum Jedi
Forum Jedi
Axe

CTF Timers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CTF Timers?   CTF Timers? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 9:37 pm

I agree with Vash beacause there are times when I'm looking forward to a huge battle on the Death Star and Tantive IV and with no timer people can get more kills and they will have higher stats on Gametracker and alot of people (like me) are trying to get as many kills as possible on every map so their stats can be higher. But I see why you would want a timer Vergamaton because on certain maps I do get annoyed when nobody scores for an entire hour and after somebody actually does score we have to wait like 30 mins before somebody else scores, but I do love having big battles with explosions everywhere like on the Death Star, execpt when I get put on the Empire I have a tons more fun when I'm on the Rebels.
Back to top Go down
GRIZZ
Post Whore
Post Whore
GRIZZ

CTF Timers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CTF Timers?   CTF Timers? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 1:27 am

Sometimes matches are quick and sometimes there not thats just the way it is and i like it. Im with shonuff on this one the long and brutal matches are the most played and even when I do hear someone complain about it they do it while playing the whole match lol.

I vote no time limit unless you can find a mod that would let you put the timer at 2 hours because 1 hour is to short for allot of maps no team would ever reach 10 for the victory.

Shooter games are about killing plan and simple! thats why gametracker counts kills and not command post points,
I play the game for fun and on the other hand I like stats!

CTF = Lots and lots of killing! the flag is like a football and you have to score a TD plus it brings the enemy to you.
Conquest = killing with lots of watching lights change color.

Both are fun and strategic in there own way but ctf is where the killing happens and if a long brutal match happens its because it weeded out the weaker players and gets harder from the amount of good players playing and that makes for some epic battles! Thats why the avg score per min from players is higher in ctf.
I do like conquest its part of the game and fun but like shonuff said in the past and vash said in this thread, they are like change of pace maps in a ctf server.

Speaking of ctf vs con can we change one of the polismassa maps back to ctf please preferably galactic civilwar Cool

Last edited by GRIZZ on Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.gametracker.com/chitowngrizz/
darthwiley
Forum Jedi
Forum Jedi
darthwiley

CTF Timers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CTF Timers?   CTF Timers? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 3:19 am

I agree with everything Vergmation said, except I don’t like conquest. The data analysis performed by Vergmation explains why Death Star is where it is in ranking. The problem with Death Star CTF is that people are only playing it because they want to kill people. There is nothing wrong with that but CTF is about scoring the flag, not kills. I like a good KPM, but I only want it in the context of the whole point of the battle. Killing is irrelevant if the flag is not active. What I like to see is an active flag with both teams trying to score and fight for position. I can tell you I have been bored to tears on Death Star but don’t want to quit and give the other team the satisfaction of winning. By the time the match is done (if it ever ends, I don’t feel like playing anymore…EVER). Any battle over an hr is ridiculous in my opinion. Set the time for an hour and let’s see how it goes. I hope it makes people more aggressive in the end and the flag is more active. Do you know how bad it sucks to go all the way out to get the flag, get killed and just watch the flag sit there and reset?? I have been skipping Death Start CTF GCW because it makes me not want to play the game anymore. I love Coruscant, Utapau and Tantive IV because the flag is very active and people actually try to score.
Back to top Go down
GRIZZ
Post Whore
Post Whore
GRIZZ

CTF Timers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CTF Timers?   CTF Timers? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 5:23 am

Since hoth became superhoth the deathstar gcw is really the only map the long battles happen on and thats 1 map out of 20 something, so lets not let one map dictate every map. I have played timed ctf matches and players still play the same way, and like vash said when they dont like the map or see the timer getting low or one team is dominating both sides dont care about the flag they try to get as many kills as they can before the end.

I do like scoring with the flag its like football war style lol. Im with you wiley on the no flag movement and when no one picks up the flag when dropped in certain areas I hate that. When I see no flag movement I make it my mission grabbing the flag I like those situations I usually have to take on half the team by myself to score and its another way to get kills .....or get killed lol. When the flag is dropped I will even go get the flag knowing ill die just to keep the flag there for my team. When my team isnt trying to score I do it for the team and try to get them motivated into scoring.

On the good ones with flag movement but its still a battle for supremacy I like those deathstar matches. On the old official with tons of allstars and veterans playing like legend,aurorus,meow,titty,mcgee and lots more I got top of the list with the most kills in one match I ever had. I got 359 kills then it did that kill reset thing and then I got another 283 kills for a total of 642 kills and had 1500 plus points and a few of the players in that match had kill resets with hundreds of kills and I have never seen an epic match like that in ages or anyone get even close to those numbers online since. oh yeah my team won hehe

In fact maybe I should start a thread named "whats the most kills in one match you ever had" hehe

Deathstar Grizz 642 kills king lol

Last edited by GRIZZ on Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
VASH
Post Master
Post Master
VASH

CTF Timers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CTF Timers?   CTF Timers? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 6:37 am

dang thats brutal grizz and i wouldnt beleive if i didnt kno how good u r haha that seems like an impoosible goal to reach... course it does sound like of bit of a challenge doesnt it? Sinister
Back to top Go down
PyroJockey
Post Whore
Post Whore
PyroJockey

CTF Timers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CTF Timers?   CTF Timers? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 12:29 pm

I voted no to timed CTF. All the matches on the =SP= server are timed and I've noticed in CTF that once a team has a lead, even a single point, all they need to do is defend and wait out the timer. Yes I've seen some aggressive games there but it's not the same. I like a protracted battle as long as the flag is being aggressively fought for.

It is disappointing when you drop the flag close to the goal only to have your teammates pass it by.
Back to top Go down
VASH
Post Master
Post Master
VASH

CTF Timers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CTF Timers?   CTF Timers? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 1:09 pm

speakin of which lol when i was on death star today emp was kickin butt lol me and jj and beam rifles and shredin them (tho i felt like i was standin still compared to how fast he was gettin kills with it lol) anyway a rebel did very well sneakin by every1 i chased him down and was catchin up cuz i was sniper but wasnt fast enough he jumped down and jumped toward goal and the flag reset itself like a ft from goal i laughed so hard!! i felt bad 4 the guy lol
Back to top Go down
KillaK
Forum Jedi
Forum Jedi
KillaK

CTF Timers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CTF Timers?   CTF Timers? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 7:07 pm

yea if there was a 60 Min timer on the CTF maps, i would defintely play in this server more.....

just a few thoughts from a gamer's mind......

if the next map is death star CTF, i never stay cause i know i will never be able to finish it.....
Every time ive been in there, Tantive CTF, Coruscant CTF and Mos Eisley CTF have never lasted more than a hour. But i dont play in this server all the time so its a small sample size..

There are a good amount of players that I notice that always go for the flag and try to score....which is why a lot of maps dont go as long as it seems, except Death Star...

The reason why Death Star takes forever is because what inevitably happens is the Rebels end up spawncamping the hallway Empire base, which leads to the Empire guys holeing up in their other base which has the best defensive position of any map. Therefore, u end up seeing a stalemate a lot of times. Unless there are a bunch of good players on one team....

Just some math for u guys who are worrying about kills....

Lets take Grizz's 3.2 KPM thingy.....60 min x 3.2 = 192 Kills (and i think 250 kills is the reset thingy?)

If u take someone who doesnt get as many, say, 2.0, that is still 120 Kills in one map

Just throwing some statistics out there.... Smile
Back to top Go down
Axe
Forum Jedi
Forum Jedi
Axe

CTF Timers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CTF Timers?   CTF Timers? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 7:19 pm

Killak that last part with the kmp confused me........I'm not good with science
Back to top Go down
VASH
Post Master
Post Master
VASH

CTF Timers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CTF Timers?   CTF Timers? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 9:00 pm

hahahaha its not science its math lol but 2 have a time limit on all the maps just because of one seems a bit drastic (yes i kno i cant spell lol)
Back to top Go down
GRIZZ
Post Whore
Post Whore
GRIZZ

CTF Timers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CTF Timers?   CTF Timers? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 11:23 pm

cut that in half because in swbf2 you get 2 points per kill so gametracker counts it the same way.

1 kill = 2 gametracker points (even tho gt shows how many kills you have while playing it still gives you 2 points per kill it just adds it later)

gt says score per min so what ever gt has cut that in half if your kill count is an odd number its from falling off or something for -1 point

3.2 gt spm = 1.6 kpm (60min = 96 kills)

2.0 gt spm = 1 kpm (60min = 60 kills)

the kill reset thing has a mind of its own i have seen it do it at 223 kills and as high as 359 i dont get why. if im playing a match with that many kills i start to expect it any time after 220.
Back to top Go down
darthwiley
Forum Jedi
Forum Jedi
darthwiley

CTF Timers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CTF Timers?   CTF Timers? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 2:17 am

Grizz, you got all those kills but who won the battle?? Why cant we try the timer to see what happens?
Back to top Go down
GRIZZ
Post Whore
Post Whore
GRIZZ

CTF Timers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CTF Timers?   CTF Timers? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 3:14 am

my team won and im down with a timer if we can mod it for 90min or 2hours lets ask pyro if there is a timer mod?
Back to top Go down
PyroJockey
Post Whore
Post Whore
PyroJockey

CTF Timers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CTF Timers?   CTF Timers? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 9:08 am

GRIZZ wrote:
my team won and im down with a timer if we can mod it for 90min or 2hours lets ask pyro if there is a timer mod?

Not that I am aware of, I'll snoop around and see what I can find. It would be a server manager mod if anything and that would depend if the server software itself would accept the higher value.
Back to top Go down
KillaK
Forum Jedi
Forum Jedi
KillaK

CTF Timers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CTF Timers?   CTF Timers? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 12:24 pm

Well just to play devil's advocate......

in .com server we have a 30 min CTF timer...7 flags to score
Death Star is chaos with those doors open and it usually goes down to the wire in terms of flag scores...and if one team is down 1 flag with 5 minutes to go Shocked it gets intense with guys on the mic.....

And i have gotten 60 kills during that time and ive seen other guys do it.. im sure JJ can speak to that also

Just try it for a bit lol....its not like once u set the timer u cant unset it
Back to top Go down
{DSB}Mewtwo
Darth Spam
Darth Spam
{DSB}Mewtwo

CTF Timers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CTF Timers?   CTF Timers? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 1:14 pm

i said yes
Back to top Go down
JJ'
Forum Jedi
Forum Jedi
JJ'

CTF Timers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CTF Timers?   CTF Timers? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 4:11 pm

Yeah, with the Death Star on .com, I probably get about 70-80 kills (30 minutes x 2.65 kpm). It's still fun, but I like untimed ctf matches more, it gives me a chance to adjust my playing style if I start off badly. With timers, it feels pressured and less fun, at least for me. I vote no.
Back to top Go down
vergamaton
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter
vergamaton

CTF Timers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CTF Timers?   CTF Timers? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 8:54 pm

kpm sucks so badly... it makes people play cheap and people doesnt care about dying. For example, grizz has one of the biggest kpm i have seen, but he dies too much. Im not saying your bad, ur one of the best rockets out there Very Happy
I just hate kpm sorry :S
Back to top Go down
darthwiley
Forum Jedi
Forum Jedi
darthwiley

CTF Timers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CTF Timers?   CTF Timers? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 11:15 pm

I agree about the KPM. It can mess up the game when people are only playing to inflate thier KPM stat. To me, kill/death ratio is a better indication of how good a player is...but that is just my opinion. I keep dying down to a minimum when I play.
Back to top Go down
GRIZZ
Post Whore
Post Whore
GRIZZ

CTF Timers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CTF Timers?   CTF Timers? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 3:34 am

playing cheap? them sound like fighting words to me, jk lol
lol thats funny vergamaton coming from someone that only uses mainly only special classes, you are a good with the darktrooper tho i hate that darn shock freeze except when i got it hehe
do you know that phrase "dont hate the player hate the game" lol

kill death ratio means absolutely nothing to me! staying away from the main fight or in certain areas to stay alive is boring. in the real world living to fight another day is great but in a war video game thats seems cowardly to me its not like your going to die for real. i will throw myself on the flag knowing ill die just to keep it there in the key area sometimes, heck when i run out of ammo i still stay in the fight with just my pistol till i win or die or get backed up by a teammate like a true honorable warrior would like the spartans,vikings,samurai,medieval knights,heck even the klingons lol.

"give me victory or give me death"

tons of players worry about dieing and dont wanna be the first one thru a door or up a ramp, not me i like walking point. i want to be the first one thru the door up the ramp the first one with the chance to fight and a chance at victory. there are two types of people in this world and in the game also, the leaders and the followers. i like front line fighting thats why my k/d ratio is 2-1 or 3-1, heck i dont care how many times i die i put myself in harms way for a reason, the team and the victory! killing the enemy and bulldozing them back is usually how thats done and the risk is dieing for it!

i am notorious for falling off allot because of lag and my worn out controller lol plus im well known and i am usually the main target for allot of the players when they see me. some players because they know im a threat and others because they think by killing good players proves something others just want revenge for me killing them tons. sometimes each type all at once which doesnt help when im trying to stay alive lol.

i have noticed that when a team has a few players that care about staying alive for there k/d ratio or trying to get and keep special weapons they never grab the flag because it puts a bullseye on them which usually comprises the team game, and if a team has a bunch of players like that most of the time they are on the losing side. i would much rather have players on my team that die over and over with no kills while scoring the flag 10 times over someone just trying to stay alive. heck if i played the stay alive way i would have a great k/d ratio and i have before but thats not fun for me and at the end of the day it is about having fun while trying to win for my team!

Last edited by GRIZZ on Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:21 am; edited 13 times in total
Back to top Go down
VASH
Post Master
Post Master
VASH

CTF Timers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CTF Timers?   CTF Timers? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 5:57 am

yup grizz ur right its a game and it all bout haveing fun haha argueing bout which style of playing is the best or most right is silly lol we all have our own opinions we should play how we think is fun lol thats what i do lol and i think thats how we all do it were here to have fun lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

CTF Timers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CTF Timers?   CTF Timers? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CTF Timers?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Star Wars Arena :: SWBFII OFFICIAL ARENA :: General-
Jump to: