The Star Wars Arena
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Star Wars Arena

Forum for the SWBFII OFFICIAL ARENA  ps2 server

HomePortal*GalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
** This is the Final Month of SWBFII online-multiplayer!! ** 

Do I just stink!?--Questions from a noob

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Kevo-nator
Rookie
Rookie
Kevo-nator

Do I just stink!?--Questions from a noob Empty
PostSubject: Do I just stink!?--Questions from a noob   Do I just stink!?--Questions from a noob Icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 12:58 pm

I love SWBF and have beaten 1 & 2 in every way I could imagine over & over again with around a 10-1 kill to death ratio on elite against ai. However now that I'm online I thrilled that I've started with my fav game at the bottom rung of the ladder. Peanut Butter Jelly (I love a challenge!!!) But I've some questions if someone'll take the time to help me out...

1) I'll hit the floor with a rocket right next to my enemy and he'll not lose much or any life, but someone will hit me three times farther away and I'll fly through the air like there's a thermal detonator in my pants!!! What's up with that?

2) When I'm watching the spawn timer, I see all the enemy's red names, but not in the game. AND, sometimes I'll be around the corner with no way my enemy knows I'm there and they'll whack me like they've seen me all along! scratch Is there a way to see those names? Is it cos I'm playing on a PS2 instead of a 1st gen PS3?

3) How come other people's shotguns seem to do much more to me than mine does to them? (and other weapons) Does zoom increase the concentrated damage?

4) Do some people use some glitch to make themselves stronger or invincible? Or to make their weapons hit you when they wouldn't hit the broad side of a barn?javascript:emoticonp('batterup')

5) I've seen mention of talking to eachother on a headset. Can you do that w a PS2?

Thanks ya'll for any help!!!!
Back to top Go down
Mike
Forum Jedi
Forum Jedi
Mike

PostSubject: Re: Do I just stink!?--Questions from a noob   Do I just stink!?--Questions from a noob Icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 6:23 pm

I got this! Let me start by saying welcome to the community, and that how well you do against AI doesn't usually have much to do with how well you will do online. Its like a different game almost when playing against other humans. I've beaten the SWBF2 campaign on Elite without dying (I used an engineer for the most part and basically went very slow lol) but that doesn't mean I won't die when playing multiplayer. Here's the answers to your questions, or at least the best I could do.

1) It depends what classes you're talking about. If you shoot the ground next to a sniper, the spot of impact can be pretty far from them and they will still be killed. That distance is a little bit less when shooting at grunts and engineers, and lastly you cannot kill a rocket that has full health by shooting the ground next to it. You have to hit them directly (body shot) to kill them with full health with one shot.

2) Everyone else has that same situation too. During the timer while following someone else you can see enemies through walls, but while you are spawned in you can only see their name if your reticule is on, or pretty close to them. You are probably getting killed around corners because some people are pretty good at using their select map. You should press select a lot, especially when you are bout to go around a corner towards an enemy. And no, none of this has to do with having a PS2 or PS3, the game plays the same.

3)Probably because their aim is a bit better than yours. When you first join a server, you should go to the players list and look for you name and see what your ping is. The higher the number, the worse your connection. This means the game might be showing you where the players were instead of where they are, so you might need to lead your bullets a bit. This can also depend on the other players ping, and how much lag they have / how warpy they are. 100 Ping is basically normal, anything under that is pretty good, and anything over 150 is pretty laggy. For your question about zoom, it depends.

4)Nope, not in the Official Arena Server anyway, glitching isn't allowed.

5) Yep, a lot of players have USB Logitech headsets, and they talk to each other over the game.
Back to top Go down
Kevo-nator
Rookie
Rookie
Kevo-nator

PostSubject: Re: Do I just stink!?--Questions from a noob   Do I just stink!?--Questions from a noob Icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 7:05 pm

Thank you Mike!!! So very helpful!

I have a lot of improving to do! I'm not used to watching a rocket explode on my enemy's chest and have him keep coming at me... lag. headwall I think I'll set a goal for a 1 to 1 kill to death ratio.

Thanks again!

Back to top Go down
Mike
Forum Jedi
Forum Jedi
Mike

PostSubject: Re: Do I just stink!?--Questions from a noob   Do I just stink!?--Questions from a noob Icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 7:52 pm

You're welcome. Very Happy

And yea the lag in this game kinda stinks, but you will get used to it. A lot of it also has to do with where the server is hosted from, and where you live. The closer the better, and I think the Official Arena server is hosted in Chicago. You will eventually get used to the lag. Have fun.
Back to top Go down
Fancypants
Grunt
Grunt
Fancypants

PostSubject: Re: Do I just stink!?--Questions from a noob   Do I just stink!?--Questions from a noob Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 9:36 pm

great post Kevo. I think your doing good, you seem to have a handle on things. The only thing I would add is the reason why you have to keep hitting your "Select" button. While playing the game, and lets say you are close to an enemy spawn point, you will not see the newly spawned in players on your map unless you refresh it by hitting the select button. So in other words, people are always dying, and therefore will be invisible to your map when they spawn in. You will see them on the big screen of course but not on your mini map. I like to hit the select button to get a clear view of where everyone is on the map in front, and behind me. WATCH YOUR FLANK!! I might be comming. lol

yes lag is a big part of the game, and I know what your saying when you think you die easily sometimes. I die a lot, so.... I'm somewhat of an expert on this subject. hahaha. dont agree with me. omg The best way to explain it is ....... it just varies son, sorry, thats how it is. Could be your internet area is loaded at the time, could be your further away from the server, lots of things come into play there. But, if you take note, on the flip side. There are some people you will kill easily. It just happens.

Oh... and there are no glitches to make yourself more powerful on this game. Everyone is equal, unless you live right next to the server!!! lol Also, you may know about the awards giving on the game. Someone may have the damage reduction award, and you may not even know it. Its a light green haze that surrounds the player and makes a funny noise. Damage increase is obvious. Bright red glow and a loud annoying noise.

well, welcome to the fray!!! see you on the front.
Back to top Go down
GRIZZ
Post Whore
Post Whore
GRIZZ

PostSubject: Re: Do I just stink!?--Questions from a noob   Do I just stink!?--Questions from a noob Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 4:58 am

looks like you guys need a rocket expert for that first question so im here to help hehe

you forgot something about the rockets damage, the rockets do more and more explosive damage the farther away the shot is.
example the rockets will do less damage up close unless you shoot someone in the right spot on the body or the ground near them.
the rockets that travel farther distances like across the map or things like a shot from the rebels door on the the deathstar to the "hallway of death" where the empire spawns do way more damage from the momentum it builds from the distance it traveled.
the long rocket shots if aimed right can kill any enemy in the game no matter whether you hit there body or the ground underneath them!

and like these guys said lagg is always a factor in the older gen games even if you dont have lagg the other player might, many times i have shot guys in the face with a rocket and done no damage at all because of lagg!

have fun guys Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.gametracker.com/chitowngrizz/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do I just stink!?--Questions from a noob   Do I just stink!?--Questions from a noob Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do I just stink!?--Questions from a noob
Page 1 of 1